September 11, 2018

Driving in the Rain

I'm a relatively new driver so if you have experience perhaps you find this easier. However, driving through the rain was an unexpected challenge that I experienced yesterday and it wasn't even raining that hard. Sprinkling compared to the torrential downpours that I've seen come down.

It was also dark, unfortunately the sun hasn't risen at 6am in the morning. So, I drove with a careful eye on the road and the cars around me while allowing my GPS to guide me through the many exits.

Testing out my night vision and reaction skills, at least that is how I tried to see it. There isn't much to see although there is more that warrants your attention. The flow of traffic, the location of exits, the intensity of the rain, it all factors into how you drive.

Have you ever held out your hand to stop a car from coming into your lane? As if you could somehow stop it or shoo it away. Sometimes I'm driving and another driver is doing something that seems a bit iffy so I throw out my hand and they move away. Not that my action is the reason for their movement; correlation does not equal causation (as all in statistics know). However, it is fun to think that I "force pushed" them away or somehow took control of their car. We don't know our own power, right?

2 comments:

  1. I cherish my early driving experiences. Your writing helped me rekindle those memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriel! I'm sure you have many driving stories. I hope you are well and staying dry as Florence comes our way.

      Delete