May 14, 2019

Unusual Statistics

The "Stats" tab is one of the most interesting features of blogger.
I can see how many people have viewed my blog.
I can see how many viewed each post.
I can see the general geographic location of these people.
I can even see which browser and operating system.

Most of the data isn't helpful to me and some of it is downright strange.

For instance, when I first began writing this blog, I had regular views from locations such as Portugal and Ukraine. Now, I'm all for the spread of knowledge and communication across the globe, but I find it highly unlikely that there were people in Portugal and Ukraine who were viewing my blog.

I've speculated with others before as to why this occurs:

  • Perhaps bots are running across my site and triggering the cookies or something. 
  • Perhaps some people have their computers set to bounce their location around so the actual countries aren't representative, but the views are. 
  • Or, perhaps, there really are people in these countries that are viewing my blog.

If that last one represents you, dear reader, then welcome! It's nice to know that I have an international audience. It's amazing how the Internet has brought some of us closer together. 


As for the other data, it is useful for me to know which posts people have enjoyed. If a post has higher traffic, then that represents the content I should be displaying on my blog. I try to do a general mix of topics and include posts about my own work as well as others. 

If you have any suggestions or have questions about anything, feel free to comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment