December 12, 2017

Creatures Big and Creatures Small

I'm done! Sorry, momentary need to express excitement for the end of the Fall semester and exams!

If you create your own world then you also have the opportunity to create your own creatures. I took advantage of the fact that "kraken" is a known monstrous name, but I created my own kraken. First, I actually wrote all of the details about what it should look like, then I actually tried to draw it with those specifications. So it has a three-horn crown and walrus-like tusks in its mouth. It has claws that are webbed for its forelimbs and then it has flippers at its back. This picture doesn't show the tail, but it has a snake-like belly and scales like a fish.
The Kraken
 So, when you're creating a creature that is made-up you can use characteristics from real animals. It's how you integrate them that determines if the creature seems believable or not. Sometimes my creatures do seem real, but other times they turn out a little funky like this mixed creature below. It was just a test to make something, but it didn't really turn out. The result is a strange little creature that was poorly brought into existence.
A squirrel-chicken-otter creature (Unnamed currently)

No comments:

Post a Comment