April 3, 2018

Reader, Reading, Rolling the Cards

Tarot Cards

I got my deck a few years ago. Maybe four by now, it's hard to remember. They're called: Circle of Life Tarot and as you can see below, they are circles. It's kind of a curious card because of their shape. It makes it difficult to shuffle unlike a rectangular deck, instead I love to spread them out on the floor, like I'm stirring a great pot. Round and round until I feel it is right to stop or cards shoot out of the deck.

You have to ask a question with cards. You have to keep it in your mind like Harry Potter and the patronus charm. Focus your intent, ask and then look at the cards. First impressions are gold. Whatever comes first when looking at a card gives you a baseline reading. More experienced card readers will usually just look at the cards, but as I am an amateur, I'll look at the little booklet as well.

My favorite cards are the Major Arcana. They're the special, one of a kind theme, like "The Lovers", "Justice", "Death", or "The Stars". The Minor Arcana are alright, but thats where you have suits: Chalices, Pentacles, Wands, and Swords. The tarot decks are actually pretty variable depending on the artist that made them, because some of the names are in the other cards and some of them are not.

Circle of Life Tarot Deck, Lo Scarabeo (Torino, Italy)
I wanted to make a post about tarot because I recently read a young writer's story that briefly mentioned it. Unfortunately I didn't get to speak to them about it, but it felt as if they were giving stereotypical views on the cards. However, the cards are meant to be understood through practice. The best way to teach someone is to shove them into the water and see if they drown, or in this less violent method, hand them a deck and make them do a reading.

Recent troubles and stressful events can make me question myself. Tarot helps me realign my thoughts and plan out future goals. Some things are not for everyone, but I'd recommend for you to step into the world of magic for a spell, even if it's just a shuffling of the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment