March 27, 2018

Aliases/Pseudonyms/Noms de Plume

I have several when it comes to names-that-are-not-my-name, but I can't tell you all of them!

  1. First one I'll share is"Veronique", self-picked for my French class in high school. We were given a list of names, I'm sure you're familiar, and then for the rest of the year we referred to each other with our French names. Definitely made it difficult to know anyone's real names, there was one guy who chose Mustafa and I honestly cannot remember what his real name was. So, for four years of French, I was Veronique (imagine an accent aigu on the first "e"). Ensuite, s'il vous plait!
  2. This one is a little strange and I still have no idea if this guy was messing with me. Let me take you back further, middle school (the terrible years of adolescence) where in a certain gym class - Tom (Fake name to protect the not-so-innocent namer) - this Tom fellow was playing ping pong with us and we were learning each other's names. He thought my name was "Philadelphia" - I don't know about you, but I think of the cream cheese first, then the city. Who would name their child Philadelphia? Although if you look at the current situation of celebrities and their babies, there are an awful lot of "unique" names being thrown around. Anyway, what a disaster and he still didn't know my name!
  3. Fast forward to the present, I'm actually still in this class, and the teacher thinks my name is "Mary". Can't fault her for the first letter, but we're still a ways from Megan. Now, you may be thinking or wondering why I don't correct her. "Come, Megan. You know your name is not Mary," you might say. Very true, I do know my name, but some people are difficult to correct. They just won't listen and now that it has been a few classes, I think it is ingrained in her memory. Ah well, it adds another pseudonym to this list.

Three is the charm, isn't it? I've got several others, but not as many stories associated. (Marilyn, Morgan, other names of the female persuasion beginning with "M"). Still this gives you a hint and I suppose proves one point that I can be many people. Apparently, my face fits a lot of names - I'm still trying to figure out if this is good or not. Alas, I fear there will be no end to the mistaken names that get placed upon me, such is life, and I intend to keep on living.

Do you have any aliases?  OR  What are some of your favorite names?
Comment below, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment