August 14, 2018

Somnambulism - Sleepwalking and Somniloquy - Sleeptalking

How I wish I was getting more sleep. Ah well, my schedule will even out soon enough and I'll get to at least 7 hours again.

I'm not much of a sleepwalker, although I've strolled about the house during the night. It has been a long while; I'm not a wanderer in the residence halls, but they're also a lot smaller in comparison. (And the bed is higher off the ground). However, I've known some sleepwalkers and it's pretty amazing how well they move about while asleep. Apparently it can occur during Stage 3 or 4, for different reasons, although more children than adults are sleepwalkers.

Walking up and down the stairs, in and out of rooms, making food or some other motor action, a lot can go on when we're not conscious. It is the unconscious part that makes a sleepwalker unaware of their actions. In most cases, they don't remember anything that they did at all.

I've never included it in a story before, but it's an interesting idea. Depending on the world, the person could be seen as possessed or maybe (like dolphins) half of their brain is active at a time so that they're never fully asleep - as if they're some type of new human. That's the fun part about writing and writers, anything can be changed or imagined differently. The rules and laws of this world are subject to whatever inclination comes our way and it's much more fun too.

I'm a sleeptalker, although I'm not chatty during the night. There are times when I apparently just say things aloud. Unfortunately, I have no clue what I'm dreaming at the time or what it means. I'm just a sentence-gal, not a whole conversation. That's another interesting part about sleepers - they can still be coherent, even if it doesn't make sense.


"Let me linger in my dreams, for it's only there that I can fly and never fear to fall."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Steve! I will definitely work on it. I've been thinking about ways to tie in my psychology classes with writing and how to express it. This was one of those posts. Although, I haven't had the same inspiration in a few months, I would like to put those posts in sporadically. However, if you liked this one, you might also enjoy "Scent Sensations" it's under the 2018 March tab.

    ReplyDelete