November 21, 2018

When You are Stuck, Do Something Different

When you have a block, when your brain has frozen or fallen in a hole, stop what you're doing and do something different. It can be stressful when we are straining ourselves to try and do what we think we ought to do in the moment. However, for our health, it is better to take a break.

When I say something different, it could be something big or it could be something small.

When my head hurts or my body feels heavy, I lie on my back and stick my legs in the air. It's kind of funny how great it feels just to swing my legs and pretend to walk on the ceiling. Sometimes I'll prop my feet on the wall and just contemplate the ceiling.

When my writing is blocked, I like to color or look at possessions that I love and remember why they are important. There are things that we keep that have stories and if I take the time to listen, then I can hear them and it helps me to write more.

To the right is one of my necklaces that I've had since high school. I like to play with the coins, separate them, move the bead up and down. It makes me think of a pendulum or the part of a clock that swings side to side. It also makes me think of hard candy or a special eye glass that lets you see the magic in the world.

Not all of these breaks are foolproof or guaranteed to work every time, sometimes you are stuck for days so your break needs to be for days. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself.




Did you click for more?

A cute photo of a chinchilla, which is not mine, but was a pet of one of my sister's roommates last year. First we got a picture of just the chinchilla, then I told my sister that I wanted to know how big it was, so she held up this banana in comparison. Just another way to do something different and change your perspective.
Doesn't it look like the chinchilla wants the banana? It's saying, please, please, please give me the sweet yellow thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment