March 12, 2019

A Lucky Penny!

Do you know those moments when you see a penny and a hundred thoughts run through your head?

My first thought is usually:

"A penny! Pick it up!"

But, before I can pick it up, another few thoughts go through my head.

  • "Is it heads or tails?"
  • "Do you remember that time that you picked up a penny in the Harris Teeter parking lot?"
  • "Do you remember those videos of people being pranked and the penny was really glued to the ground?"
  • "What year could it be?"

By the time all of these thoughts go through my head, and several more, I've already walked past the penny. The thing is pennies are worthless. They actually cost more to make than they are actually worth. 

In 2018, it cost 1.5 cents to make a penny which means that it cost 50% more than its actual value.

Also, pennies are made out of zinc coated with copper. In my high school chemistry class, we did an experiment where we put the pennies in a solution that removed the copper and showed the zinc so all of our pennies turned silver, then there were pennies that we could turn a gold color. I wish I could tell you what we actually put them in, but I can't remember. 

If you want more penny facts, then feel free to peruse the link:
https://www.usmint.gov/learn/kids/about-us/fun-facts/category/penny/page/2 


P.S. I walked by the spot where I saw the penny, intending to pick it up on this second go around. Unfortunately, it was gone when I got there. So there is somebody who still likes pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment