October 15, 2019

Book Review: October

I suppose it's strange to like an author for words that are not their own, but wait (that sounds like plagiarism), I mean to say that I have an appreciation for well placed prose.

Cassandra Clare is the author of The Mortal Instruments series as well as countless others. I only mention TMI because that was the start of the shadowhunters. In truth, I read Clockwork Angel before I ever read City of Bones and in more honesty, I prefer it. My preference does have to do with the fact that the book is set in Victorian England and I'm a fan of the time period, but I prefer the characters as well. 

First of all, the book opens with the Thames River Song by Elka Cloke. I really enjoyed reading that and I think it sets the tone for the book.

Secondly, there is a prologue. Some people may tell you that a prologue is a bad idea. A prologue is a technique that writers used in the past, but for modern writing it is a crude way to introduce something. Well, I disagree. When you deny the use of something, you stifle your creativity. The more rules are placed upon you, the more likely you are to be confined until you can't even imagine what is outside the box. So there.
I want to say I bought this in Target, but I'm not sure.
My memory of getting this is fuzzy and I'm not
exactly sure how I found out about the series, considering
I'd never heard about The Mortal Instruments and the first book
in that series came out before this one.
Immediately, readers are introduced to Will and Jem. They are parabatai meaning that they are hunting partners and as close as brothers. They're both nephilim (a little angel blood mixed in with human) and charged with the duty of hunting demons to protect the world.

Next, we meet Tessa. She is an American. She is traveling to see her brother and she is all alone in the world. Also, she loves reading. I really like her inner strength. She knows what heroines in books do, and she's not above trying stuff, but she also knows her limits and has such a factual mind. She is an absolutely wonderful character to follow as well as our "in" to the shadow world. 

Begin Chapter 1, I mentioned that I like well placed prose. Above each chapter is a chapter title and a quote from some past writer. We've got William Ernest Henley, Lord Byron, Robert Browning, Horace, Christina Rossetti, and many others. The little quotes add some fun and a breather from the writing. I also enjoy the references in the story itself. Tessa absolutely adores Wilkie Collins, "Have you read the Moonstone?" she asks. At the time, I had not, but per her suggestion I picked it up. So you see, if a writer can write well enough to inspire you to seek out other books on your own, then I consider it a success. 

Strange things are happening in London. Bodies and missing people and just an inherent wrongness that the shadowhunters feel a duty to intervene. While Will investigates the Pandemonium club, a group for Downworlders (those that aren't fully human or not human at all), Tessa begins to learn about herself and her family. She might not be as human as she believes herself to be - not when she has the power to become whoever she wants by holding something that belongs to them.

And who is the magister? Leader of these darker paths and the antagonist bent on bringing down the nephilim. 

This book is a mystery, adventure, romance, YA story that jumps off the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment