October 8, 2019

Story Tag: Part 2

Welcome!

I am working with my friend Inna Jong Key to do some story writing. Where will this go? No one knows. She graciously began the story and I've taken it up. No plan. No collusion. We're working independently to see just what our two minds can do.

If you're looking for part 1, check out:
https://innajk.wordpress.com/2019/10/04/story-tag-part-1/

And without further ado, here is part two:

Nothing. Nothing behind me. Just shadows and the couch sit there and I shiver involuntarily. The rumble of thunder shakes the house and I crouch down to the floor. It feels safer to press myself flat and I close my eyes, counting under my breath. Light flashes against my eyelids and another crack of thunder shakes the foundations. It seems as if the storm is finally overhead and it’s ready to burst.

I peel myself off the floor. No need for Carla to see me plastered to it with fear. Once I stand, I examine the picture again. My eyes narrow. How is it possible that the figure is gone? Did I imagine it? I search the frame again but nothing is out of place. 

Another shiver steals over me and I hurry to the couch, drawing a blanket around me. I can’t help feel as if something watches me, but from where? I scan the room and clench my teeth together. Maybe I should call out for Carla. Surely if she comes down, whatever is haunting me will go away.

I’m about to shout her name when something clamps over my mouth and I’m pulled to the ground. We land without a thump and I feel the warmth of someone behind me. Fear freezes me and I realize I’m holding my breath.

A shadow passes by and I look up to see someone standing in front of the pictures. They stare hard as if trying to discern something. The lightning flashes again and the rain-splattered clothing becomes visible. A long red coat obscures this figure and a large top hat conceals their face. They turn and I realize I haven't taken a full breath. I feel tight inside as my eyes dart to the darkness of their face. Between my inhale and exhale, they disappear.

The person behind me releases me and I roll over, twisting my head in surprise as my eyes adjust to the shadows behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment