May 15, 2018

The Play's the Thing

I'm not a playwright, but I have enjoyed dabbling in that area, and of course the one play that I do end up writing tends to sound like something out of Shakespeare.

Since I'm not an expert, I suspect it is easier to Google plays yourself and understand how they are written, but I'll give a few tips anyway.

When you're looking for formatting, it definitely helps to have a play on hand, then you can model the style of writing stage directions, different characters, transitions and other little notes included in the scenes.

There are acts and there are scenes. Acts are bigger and contain several scenes, usually scenes result when characters move location or when it goes from say four people, then two run off and the other two conspire or something. I think plays are more commonly written in three acts, but don't take my word for it.

Plays are about dialogue, as the writer you're supposed to write a conversation between every character in the play and make it interesting, props and scenery aren't really your concern. Stage directions help, but for the most part, directors and actors need to rely only on the dialogue and go from there.

So, here is a taste of my Shakespearian-esque play:

Act 1, Scene 1

The curtain opens. Metrio is very excited and running about the stage.

Metrio: The time for sleep has passed, it is time to move at last.
              Darling, oh let this be the day that tender love comes my way.

Metrio enters the Royal Garden and sees Gurna sitting there with a flower. He speaks softly while lying in the grass, peering at her through the hedges.

Metrio: Oh, sweet temptress, sweet flower that lures me with your scent,
              I am helpless, but to be yours forever is my only desire.
              Please darling, if you care for me so, do not play with my heart.
              I shall love no other, and shall wait on you day and night."

This play won't make sense until I get my next story out of the woodwork, but the flowery language is so fanciful and elaborate that it makes me laugh every time I read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment