July 2, 2018

Bubble, Boil, Braise and Broil

Ha ha ha, not exactly the rhyme but I love the alliteration. Perhaps this is how the witch in Hansel and Gretel feels about eating children. So many ways to cook them, like with Bubba's shrimp monologue in Forest Gump.

I'm in England currently which feels kind of fitting because the birth of Harry Potter took place here. Witches and wizards, Hogwarts, wands, and cats, toads and (of course) cauldrons. The Warner Brothers Studios are here and tours allow you to traverse the sets and view props among other things. If you ever get the chance, I would recommend. Now on with the post.

This wasn't actually in a movie. It's a real place. Korner's Folly, (there are supposed to be 2 dots over the "o" in Korner's, but I can't figure out how to do that, so you'll just have to imagine), and the below picture shows something that is just outside the front door.

Witches Corner. I just had to stand and look and marvel at this for a few minutes when I saw it. I love anything that hints at the supernatural and this has an interesting story behind it.

These were actually common occurrences outside homes. The idea was that a visitor would deposit a coin in the pot and that would keep the witches, ghoulies and other nasties outside. A fixture from a superstitious age. I just have to admire the effort that went into tiling the words "Witches Corner" and the little cauldron below a chimney-like brick structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment