December 4, 2018

An Interview with the Author

A while back, months and months ago, Ingram Elliott wanted me to fill out an interview form. There were several questions about Island Whispers and about my writing. Here are a few of the questions with my responses:

Tell me a little about your book’s title and what it represents?
Island Whispers is sort of a nod to all the mysteries that are going on in the book. However, it first was just the title of a book mentioned in the story. Angelica’s father had recorded mysterious events in a book titled: Island Whispers. My mother was the one who suggested that I change the title to Island Whispers because it worked better. So I did and that’s how it was born.
What is the primary message you hope to share with readers? How do you hope they will feel after reading your book?
I want them to feel understood. I want them to come away and see magic everywhere and fun. However, they are also supposed to understand that the world is not so divided into black and white. There are different stories that need to be told and we interpret what we experience differently.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Don’t let yourself give up and keep challenging yourself to explain things that you previously just wanted to shove under the bed and attribute to magical chance. There were a lot of things that I just kind of gave up and let slide until I realized that they could be explained if I just dug further. It really added more to the story and didn’t make it seem like there were no rules and that things could happen at the “author’s whim”. 
Why should we buy your book? What makes it special in comparison to other books in the same genre?
You should buy it because it is a fun adventure with a world that is not our own. It’s relatively easy to read without complicated jargon that populate other fantasy novels and provides enough of a familiar feel that I think readers will immediately be comfortable with most of the ideas. Still there is enough new information and details that make it another book to store on the shelves next to other fantasy novels. Also the characters are relatable, emotionally they react how we would expect someone to react. Their powers aren’t over the top and I think they reflect each of their personalities as well. I really like how the book builds and the characters begin to grow with the story.



Happy Holidays! If you know a reader, someone who would love a book, consider this one.
Books are wonderful gifts. I'll be donating a few of my books. It is a wonderful season to give!

How would you describe your main characters physically and emotionally?
Angelica is all soft and sweet; she genuinely show that she cares about you. She has a hidden strength in being able to deal with pain like losing her father. Angelica is all light with blonde hair and blue eyes. She’s tall and proud.
Monica is all fiery in emotion. She is direct and hard on herself. She cares a lot, but she often hides that behind a tough facade. She’s more likely to jump into situations and wants to get started immediately. Monica is dark skinned and sharp. She has muscle and attitude that can get her into trouble.
Grant is responsible and serious. He prefers to work alone. He feels a little self conscious about acting silly, but he would do anything for his brother and cousin. Family is important to Grant as well as finding out who he is. Image and how others see him affect him a lot although he doesn’t like to show it. Grant is brown haired and blue eyes. 
Adam is cute and fun. He’s a little naive. The first readers told me that they loved Adam the most out of all of my characters and I think it is because he is the character that seems the most lifelike (because he is flawed). The others have a bit more "superhuman" aspects about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment