December 18, 2018

Flying Upon Swift Winds

Continuing with the artsy theme, I give you sketches of a pegasus.
In Island Whispers, Angelica becomes partners with Swift.
To draw this enigmatic creature, I combined instructions of how to draw a horse with the instructions of hummingbird wings. It turned out better than my freehand drawings.

I would like to see your drawings, but I'm not sure if that's possible with this blog. If you can upload a picture in the comments, I'd love to see it!


So after doing most of the sketching and erasing, I arrived at this completed product. 
 Read more to see the finished product!


Then I took some thin pens to outline and if you can see it, there are blue lines as well as the black.
This is because Swift has a blue glow in the book!
The creatures of a story can be the lifeblood. They can be the humorous characters that relieve tension or adorable awe-inspiring partners who showcase loyalty. They can be much more of course, but I feel those two are recurrent. Hedwig in Harry Potter, Blackjack in Percy Jackson, Church in the Infernal Devices, does Teddy fit? From the Magic Treehouse. I remember that he was a boy and got trapped when Jack and Annie find him. He might have been a crow... Either way, the theme is apparent, many stories use animals of characters and find successful side stories to tie in with them.
Final image. I've erased all of the pencil marks so it is just the ink.
The picture seems clearer, although the drawing itself needs adjustments.
For future drawings, I know I need to make the wings larger and work on the head.
If you were to choose an animal to be in a story, what would you choose? Would they be able to speak, communicate telepathically or just make usual animal noises?

I once got a prompt that said throw a llama into the story and that was an interesting twist. Llamas are temperamental and this one liked to spit on everyone. Unfortunately for the characters, they had to follow the llama. No way to turn around and run in the opposite direction. It was a sign and messenger to deliver them to some undisclosed place, but what a tour guide - it took them on dangerous mountain paths and never ceased its saliva-spitting actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment