January 15, 2019

Screening the Play Process

Never have I ever written a screenplay before.

Except now I'm in a screenwriting class, so I guess I'll be learning how to by the end of this semester.

Our first assignment?

We each drew a slip of paper from a bowler hat. Each piece had a summary of a scene and underlying subtext which we were supposed to include without being too obvious.

For example, say a boy and a girl are going fishing. The boy really likes the girl, but isn't sure how to say it...And action!

I'm not sure how that scene would actually turn out but, if you've got the time to try it, I'd love to see what you come up with.

This is all I know about screenwriting:

Don't describe every action or scrap of clothing.
Do focus on dialogue.

Hopefully I'll learn more because I know there are so many formatting rules. By the end of the semester that list should be at least a few items longer.



Happy thoughts! Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment