August 29, 2017

How can inspiration last forever?

Well I'm not sure if that is possible, but certainly for a lifetime a person may feel inspired.
We get inspired by different things. It helps to be excited, but we can't always be excited - that would be exhausting.
I find that reading out loud helps me think and also makes me excited about my work. I may try and post a video soon or a recording of me speaking a passage aloud. Something fun and different for these posts for sure.

I have not had much to do the past few days. School has not given me too much although I am excited for it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am taking my first creative writing class: fiction writing. We have done an alphabet list and a small prompt so far.
The prompt was a picture and we were supposed to explain it with a story that had a beginning and end in a page. Very short, very difficult on the fly, but a good challenge for a writer.
The alphabet list is a way to generate ideas. We write a noun for each letter and these must be words that have importance to us. They must have some story behind them in some way.

I'll give you a sample:

A for "Astrology"
B for "Button"
C for "Cliff"

and so on until you get down to Z.
Then when you're low on inspiration you pull out your list and think well I wrote "button" for B, let me write a story about a button or something button-inspired.

"Henry was always losing his buttons. On his coat, on his jeans, on his shirts. There were frayed bits of thread where the buttons should have been, they just weren't. It had gotten so bad that he took care to buy things that were buttonless, but it was difficult to do and terribly impractical. He didn't like going underdressed to his business office. The others would stare if he showed up in a t-shirt and drawstring pants. This thought paralyzed Henry so much that he worked from home as often as he could which was why he was at home when the strange visitor knocked on his door."

............and that is how a story can manifest. Try it on your own and see what you can come up with

3 comments: