August 22, 2017

The More You Learn, The More You Know

So I'm super excited to tell you that I am taking my first writing class ever!
I've never taken a writing class before, although I tried to in high school, but they put me in sociology instead. Then the school took away the class. It was disappointing, but my senior year, my english teacher let us write creatively at the very end of the year. That was exciting, so multiply that by a hundred and now I'm jumping for joy.

There is so much I don't know about the craft. You can learn a lot about yourself and your writing, but a teacher is a guide that can make quick and drastic improvements. Of course everyone learns in different ways and it isn't necessary to take a class to write, but there is a lot to say about feedback. An outside eye can do wonders.

So twice a week I get to be in a class with other writers for "Fiction Writing" and I can't help the grin that stretches across my face. I feel giddy that I can take a class about writing!

Assignments are submitting writing prompts and then we have two short stories to turn in over the course of the semester. Their only supposed to be about ten pages which is really short, but it will be a good way for me to be concise and work on technique.

Have you ever taken a writing class and was it helpful for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment