August 15, 2017

Internet digging and Idea scraps

One of the things that I love to do is some easy research. Research that is fun and enlightening. There are many ways to conduct research on the internet - the easiest is to use google and type in a search word. Then you just scroll through results, clicking on sites that have your key word or sound interesting.

A recent thing that I searched for were ancient weapons because I have a story about demon children. I wanted there to be weapons from other ages and different places because it would add depth to the story. These demon children aren't just American and they have been around for a long time. Plus my knowledge is limited on weapons so I can do more in-depth research later on appearances of these weapons. Some of my favorites so far are: falchion, flamberge, claymore, pitchfork, rapier, and crossbow. I can take these and make them more magical by either making them cursed or forged with certain properties.

Another fun thing to do is search for character names. I usually use a baby name generator because if you want to symbolically use a name or are looking for an unfamiliar name then there are plenty online.

Sometimes I am struck by a small idea, but I don't know how to use it. So I keep a small journal that is easy to carry around and jot down these random thoughts. Then if I find a place where it is useful or needed I have the initial details that I thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment