February 27, 2018

A "Knowing" Look

I have this minor "problem" where I'll start smiling in class after a teacher has asked a question, then they call on me, thinking that I know the answer. I don't, not usually, and so I'm afraid my smile is a bit misleading. They think, I'm saying, haha I know the answer and I'm not going to say anything unless you make me. When really, I'm just laughing as we all squirm in discomfort waiting for someone else to answer. Sometimes the questions make me smile too. It kind of depends on the day.

A public notice to everyone (especially teachers). Just because someone is smiling does not mean they are omniscient, perhaps they're just having a really good day and they're just happy. Honestly, my first summer at State, I had this philosophy class where I'd always be smiling because the topics and discussion were just so much fun to engage in. Then the professor would make some comment about, oh look whose smiling again. It became this running thing in the class and there were only about four weeks anyway, but whatever, people will interpret your expressions how they see fit.

To tie this into writing, when you have a character courting a peculiar expression or doing specific actions - make sure it lines up with your intentions. You don't want someone smiling gleefully while they're at a funeral, unless they really don't like the dead guy, so it depends on what you're trying to do, just make it successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment