February 6, 2018

My Baby!

Okay so not really my baby, but I am so proud of this one.

Several posts ago, I shared the Whipling, a bird creature of my own creation.

Now that Island Whispers is out, I want to share another one of my creatures:
the Liducorn

I drafted a lot of different ideas for a predatory monster and it took a while to find the right combination. The liducorn is a beast with two curling ram's horns, a lion's head with protruding fangs and a beard down its throat. It has a hard shell wrapped around its body, and lion legs, paws and claws. To top off the design it has a dragon-like tail with sharp spiny ridges, it can swing the tail with bone-breaking strength. I hope you all enjoy the book and the scenes with the liducorn - it is definitely one of my favorite creatures.

Final design of the liducorn after much trial and error. Here I mark the different traits listed above.

This is just a close up of that its paws and mouth would look like, I just really wanted to try making it look life-like with fur and texture.

I had considered making the liducorn have a goat's head, but after further deliberation, I decided that a more feral creature would have a lion's head and thus would be meat-eating. A goat seemed too friendly for the monster I wanted to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment